The winery: past and present

Vecchia Cantina Sociale di Alice Bel Colle e Sessame d’Asti was opened on 1st August 1956 by a group of winemakers who came together to work their grapes and to promote and sell the wine produced. The production plant is 6 km from Acqui Terme, in the Upper Monferrato area, which is home to fine aromatic wines like Moscato and Brachetto. The Winery, the largest wine producing company in the area, has currently 200 members and covers 1150 hectares of vineyards. The main variety to be grown and made into wine is the white Moscato grape (approx. 60%); other local varieties like Brachetto, Barbera, Dolcetto and Cortese account for the remaining 40%. Close to 10,000 tons of grapes are picked every year and an average of 8,000,000 litres of wine are produced. The majority of the wine is sold wholesale to bottlers located throughout Northern Italy, Europe and beyond.